Friday, February 11, 2005

Fire Alarm!

Today was my first day back in the paddock.

Like many organisations we have fire drills and false alarms. Today as I was attending to my e-mail the fire alarm ALARMS me. I work in a multi-storey building and this thing makes it shake!
Me, I've grabbed my bag and I'm out the door. TEAM SAG'S Fire Marshals 1 & 2 are brewing tea...
Colleagues 1-5 are variously worried about:
  • 1. Client confidentiality if he leaves his desk all messy and the marshalling point is in the sun, so he's going to stand in a shady spot
  • 2. Grabbing their lunch and a magazine and the salt and pepper and...
  • 3. Not spilling the coffee or dropping the newspaper and "do you think I can take one of the office chairs to sit down on?"
  • 4. Nothing and not moving out of the office
  • 5. How far the marshalling point is from the building and it's so hot and my legs hurt and Jim from upstairs really does smell doesn't he and look at the hair on that woman and...
I can only assume that my recent overseas travel made me aware of risk and respectful of the structures that are in place for my safety.

Yes, it turned out to be a false alarm.
If we ever have a real fire, all at TEAM SAG will be well-done or overcooked, except for me the rarest of them all...